THE SANCTUARY OF OUR LADY OF GRACES IN CORNIGLIA
Located just above Corniglia, in the locality of San Bernardino, the sanctuary of Nostra Signora delle Grazie is also known by the name of San Bernardino alla Foce. Originally dedicated to the Saint, who passed here in 1485, traveling from Siena to Genoa, the building took its current title in 1772.
Legend has it that in the 18th century, the inhabitants of Corniglia went to the sanctuary to restore a painting of the Madonna, finding it intact. The current building is the result of the nineteenth-century renovation of a previous chapel, decorated in 1641 by the painter Prospero Luxardo of Corniglia.
The venerated icon is a canvas of the Madonna and Child, originally depicted between San Bernardo da Chiaravalle and San Bernardino da Siena. The work was then divided and the canvas with the Madonna, crowned in 1874, was placed above the altar, while two ovals on the walls portray images of the saints.