THE ORATORY OF THE DISCIPLINATI OF RIOMAGGIORE
The oratory of the Disciplinati, also known as the church of the Confraternity of the Assumption, is located in Riomaggiore in Via Colombo, in the "La Compagnia" district. The monument is admired by all tourists, as it is located along the main road that descends towards the sea. Dating back to the 16th century, it is a simple construction, with a gabled façade plastered in white and bounded by two lateral pilasters, a sandstone portal surmounted by a niche and a circular window under the tympanum. To the left of the portal there is a marble plaque bearing the date 1476, testifying the indulgences granted by Pope Gregory XIII to the brotherhood.
The interior decorated in Baroque style preserves at the main altar, separated from the rest of the room by a marble balustrade, a tempera triptych depicting a "Madonna and Child between Saints John and Dominic" from the second half of the 15th century. On the left of the altar, the wooden statue called "Our Lady of the chains", in memory of the dangers of pirates, when it was common for local men to be kidnapped and chained. Leaning against the right wall, instead, are some processional lights.
Finally, the bell tower, plastered in light red, rises to the left of the church.