THE CASTLE OF RIOMAGGIORE
The castle of Riomaggiore dates back to the XIII century. It dominates the village from the hill of Cerricò, just above the church of St. Giovanni Battista.
It was built in 1260 by the marquises Turcotti, lords of Ripalta and was completed by the Genoese in the XV-XVI century after the dominion of Nicolò Fieschi. It has a quadrilateral base, its walls are surmounted by two big circular towers. In the XIX century it was turned to a cemetery and then successively restored.
Today it welcomes didactic and cultural activities.