THE SANCTUARY OF OUR LADY OF MONTENERO
The first mention of the sanctuary of Our Lady of Montenero dates back to 1335, even though the tradition wants the construction to have been built on a religious building of the VIII century. The sanctuary endured various restorations, the more important in 1740 and 1847. Today it is constituted by three aisles and conserves a XVIII century fresco of painter Battaglia from Castelnuovo Magra. According to the legend, a Byzantine icon was adored and then hidden to save it from the invasion of the Longobards of King Rotari. When it was found again, a source gushed suddenly and was therefore built the church.