THE ABBEY OF THE CAPPUCCINI AND THE CHURCH OF SAN FRANCESCO
The abbey and the church rise on the hill of Saint Cristoforo that divides the old part of Monterosso from the new one of Fegina. It was built since 1619 and suffered hard periods, like the expulsion of the friars with Napoleon in 1810, the transformation in a hospital and then in warehouse. In 1894 Don Giuseppe Policardi, clergyman of Monterosso, bought the structure, restored it and he donated it to the Cappuccini.
The church dedicated to Saint Francisco is much evocative. It has an aisle encircled by wooden altars. Inside we find the painting of the Crucifixion, attributed to Van Dick, a San Girolamo penitent of Cambiaso and a 1896 Madonna of the Angels of Oldoino Multedo. On the right of the church, the ruins of the old castle are now the cemetery.